PHILLISBURG, Missouri- On Tuesday evening, the Conway Volunteer Fire Department says they called to a fire at the Redmond’s Candy Factory. They said in a press release that on arrival they observed fire coming from a corner of the structure and light smoke coming out of the building which had been quickly evacuated by employees. Employees also had attempted putting out the blaze with a garden hose. The Conway department says they were able to quickly extinguish the fire and sent firefighters to the attic to check for fire spreading.
The building was then ventilated to prevent any more smoke damage and the state fire marshal was contacted to assist in the investigation of the fires origin.
After the investigation the agency says they do not believe the fire to be a intentionally set fire. One possible cause could be improper disposal of smoking materials (cigarette butt), they said. However, they were unable to verify that completely.
The building sustained minor fire, smoke, & water damage. The owners and employees were on site cleaning and hopefully will be back open very soon, the press release said.
They said the Lebanon Rural Fire Protection District, Marshfield Fire Department Niangua Volunteer Fire Department Lebanon City Fire Department and Bennett Spring Fire Department assisted.