AMARILLO, Texas- MyHighPlains reports a fourth person is confirmed dead in an apparent residential chemical poisoning. Amarillo Fire Department says all four who died are children.

Captain Larry Davis of Amarillo Fire Department confirms a chemical used in the house to get rid of pests was the source of the poisoning.

The chemical aluminum phosphide was found at the scene.

Aluminum phosphide creates a highly toxic gas called aluminum phosphine when mixed with water. The tablets or pellets, known as “wheat pills”, typically also contain other chemicals that evolve ammonia which helps to reduce the potential for spontaneous ignition or explosion of the phosphine gas.

Authorities believe this is how the first minor died at the home.

At this time, there is no explanation for how the other three died at the hospital.

There is no update on the status of the other 6 members of the household.

See updates here