The Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program provides cost-share grant assistance to support the preservation of the most significant and representative historic Route 66 buildings, structures, road segments, and cultural landscapes in the eight states through which the route passes

LEBANON, Missouri- A federal law authorizing the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program is set to expire in two years.  In 2016, $6,300 was awarded  to Missouri’s Donut Drive-In  located in St Louis through the initiative.  The deadline due to the law’s sunset was first reported by The Herald-News in Joliet, and has Route 66 enthusiasts and preservation advocates rushing to make sure the program or an alternative is maintained. The National Park Service Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program has assisted 17 Missouri cost-share grant projects, including the restoration of several neon signs, the Wagon Wheel Motel in Cuba, and the Boots Motel in Carthage. Lebanon is not listed on the site.

Skylark Motel, after restoration. St. Clair, Missouri.

A bipartisan supported bill in Congress to designate Route 66 as a National Historic Trail,  is backed by 12 other members of Congress from Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma and California.

In recognition of the significance of Route 66 to America’s heritage, Congress passed an act in 1999 to create the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program. Administered by the National Park Service, the program was established in 2001 and is dedicated to preserving the special places and stories of the historic highway.

The program collaborates with private, nonprofit, and government partners to identify, prioritize, and address priority preservation needs of Route 66.  The program provides cost-share grants to help preserve the most significant and representative historic sites dating to the route’s period of significance (1926-1985). It also assists preservation planning, research, and educational initiatives, and serves as a clearinghouse for preservation information and technical assistance. Since 2001, over 100 projects have received cost-share grant assistance across the route.

The Boots Court – Motel was built in 1939 by Arthur Boots, and still carries his name today. The “Motel” was saved from demolition by two sisters who are presently restoring the property to the way it was in 1949, and with the five rooms in the detached annex being completed and opened-for-business in 2012, this famous Art Deco-Streamline Modern building is currently listed by Trip Advisor.com as the “Best Motel in Carthage”! Stay with us and experience history.

Set to legislatively terminate at the end of 2009, the program was reauthorized on March 30, 2009 for an additional ten years.  Under the new authorization, the program will continue to offer grants, technical assistance, and clearinghouse functions, and pursue long-term priorities to sustain preservation efforts along Route 66 until the program sunsets in 2019.